Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Kids

Since I am a teacher you will hear me talk about "my kids" from time to time. I have 22 of them plus some from other classes too. I started working at the school I am now at, as just a substitute. Then they offered me an afterschool position which I took in a heartbeat! That first year, I just did the elementary- aged kids and it was alright but my heart still belonged to the little ones. So I was so blessed when they asked me if I could move from elementary to enrichment! Enrichment is the noontime program we have for the 4 and 5 yr olds who are not napping. I worked that for another year along with enrichment after school. Which is ages 3-6. I absolutely loved it! I got to know all the kids and for some of them I was the one constant in their lives and to me that is the icing on the cake. This year much to the dismay of some of my "kiddos" I moved on to the morning classes as an assistant teacher. Careerwise, it was a huge step up especially since I'm one of the youngest ones there and also do not have a degree yet. I love it though despite all of its challenges. And I'm learning alot right along side with the children. Who I am noticing that I am starting to win some of these new kids over as well.

I still have my enrichment and afterschool kids come running up to me in the hallways...afterall it is a BIG adjustment for them too! The other day I had probably one of the most precious conversations that really hit home with why I do what I do.

A 5 yr old approached me in the hallway and said "Ms. Abby I don't like Enrichment anymore!" I asked her Why not? Was she not getting along with her friends? Did she get in trouble in there? You know just the usual probing questions to get to the heart of the matter. :) And she paused for a minute and said "No, I don't like Enrichment because you're not in there." Talk about a break-my-heart "Aww" moment! I've thought from time to time just quitting the morning classes and going back to Enrichment but I know I made the wise choice...but every single one of them are still in my prayers.

It's the little things in life, that at the end of the day...matter the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment